The Retractable Canopy Pergola is an excellent shade solution. You can build this lovely modern pergola structure any size you need and with our partnership with Infinity Canopy's retractable shade systems, you can adjust the amount of shade you need in seconds. The retractable canopy is made from SunBrella brand fabric and there are hundreds of fabric colors and patterns to choose from. The pergola is available in any size up to 40 feet long. The pergola can either be free standing or it can be attached to your home. You can see examples of both in the photos. Let us know more what you are planning. Keep in mind you will have an assigned designer when you place your order and they will quickly work with you to fine tune your initial order into the pergola of your dreams. Call or email anytime to get the conversation started. Free nationwide shipping.
- We are a turnkey one stop shop: We will design and size your pergola with you, build, deliver and install anywhere in the Continental U.S. If you'd like to Do it Yourself, most kits can be put together in one day. We ship pre-marked in finished pieces that have been pre-assembled in the shop beforehand.
- The Retractable Canopy Pergola is a thick timber design that includes retractable shade canopies made by Infinity Canopy (www.infinitycanopy.com). We do not provide the canopy directly. Send your approved final design to Infinity Canopy for them to custom size your shade solution and add your preferred options (fabric color, etc.).
- The key to a successful, long-term pergola project begins with the wood quality, and includes sizing, orientation, design, and construction details. For example, the key to maximizing shade while maintaining as open a roof line as possible is to orient the main roof timbers north and south to block solar rays as the sun rises and sets over the main roof rafters.
- Each Wooden Pergola is built your way. Our dedicated staff of designers and consultants stay with your ideas until we have something you are completely in love with. Every detail can be a standard option or customized as needed. If you want to add a detail or a size you do not see, just say the word.
- We are a forestry company. We hand select the best, fattest timbers from our forestlands for your project. Everything is ridiculously over built. Every product is composed of real wood and steel - we never use any plastic/vinyl/ compressed glue/plywood, flimsy hardware or nails. Nothing lasts longer outdoors than California Redwood. We have over 20 years experience building, shipping and installing shade structures all over the country.
- Easy Design/Sizing Support: Your order's drawings are emailed within 5 days. Our drawing process is ideal, and allows you to begin your order without having every detail exact. Generally a few emails with our design team is all you need to have every detail the way you want.
- Details Matter: All joints are notched to make sure your Pergola will never sag, warp, twist, or shrink. Each timber is finely sanded for a silky smooth finish. We use the best sealants on the market. We make the best wood shade structures you can buy anywhere. Check the competition carefully. Does any other manufacturer offer up to 30 year decay warranties?
- You Install or We Install?: Once you sign off on your drawings, your Pergola is fully erected and finely finished in the shop for easy re-assembly. All stainless steel hardware is included, simply bolt the timbers back together. With two people working, most kits go back up in 6-8 (see Assembly & Care tab above). If you prefer, we can send our install team anywhere in the U.S.
- Turnaround Time & Financing: We can build in 2 -3 weeks, but recommend ordering 2-3 months in advance to allow time to fine tune the details via our drawing process. You can also take advantage of our 1/3rd deposit option to minimize upfront cash.
To find out more about our one-of-a-kind Retractable Shade Canopy Pergola Kit or any of our other products, give us a call today, or shoot us an email here.
Specifications have the following sections, any of which you may go to directly by clicking on it:
DIMENSIONS & DRAWINGS (PROVIDED PRIOR TO CONSTRUCTION)
When we receive any Pergola order, we provide you a detailed set of drawings based on the options and sizes chosen. The drawings will clearly show all details and dimensions from 3 different angles. They are an excellent tool for you to double check each detail to be sure that everything is as you'd like before we begin building. Initial drawings are emailed within 5 business days, and we'll revise your drawings as much as needed to make sure all details and sizing issues are perfected prior to beginning construction.
Below are some examples of drawings sent to prior customers:
Corner posts are 5 1/2" by 5 1/2" (standard sized 6x6s) and are recessed 12" in from roof dimensions (This can be adjusted to meet your needs just let us know).
Roof support timbers (lintels) and rafters are 1 7/8" x 5 3/4". If you prefer a different sizing or style, write what you would like in the comments section or contact us.
Posts normally ship 9' long. 9 posts make the top of the roof 9' also and give you an 8' 4" clearance ("ceiling height") under the rafters. About 90% of our pergola customers go with the default 9' post height. If you'd like your pergola taller or shorter, just select Other Height and write in what you would like in the comments section.
The maximum roof size is 20' in either direction with a 4 post structure. The maximum span (with the standard timber sizes mentioned above) is 18' 2 1/2" on center between posts. Structures over 20' in any direction are built with an additional post to support roofs between 20' and 40'. For example, a 30' x 20' free standing pergola has 6 posts.
Forever Redwood Pergola kits are completely assembled in the shop prior to shipping to be certain everything fits together perfectly. All timbers are notched into one another to increase structural strength and lock all your pergolas timbers in place so they will never sag, twist or move. There are hundreds of notches in the larger pergolas. Full notching is rarely practiced because it is labor intensive, but it is one of the secrets to a long lasting beautiful pergola.
All assembly hardware is included and is stainless steel.
|Pergola (Roof) Size (ft)||Approx. weight|
|10 x 10||705 lbs.|
|10 x 12||795 lbs.|
|10 x 14||885 lbs.|
|10 x 15||930 lbs.|
|10 x 16||975 lbs.|
|10 x 18||1065 lbs.|
|10 x 20||1155 lbs.|
|12 x 12||903 lbs.|
|12 x 14||1011 lbs.|
|12 x 15||1065 lbs.|
|12 x 16||1119 lbs.|
|12 x 18||1227 lbs.|
|12 x 20||1335 lbs.|
|Pergola (Roof) Size (ft)||Approx. weight|
|14 x 14||1137 lbs.|
|14 x 16||1263 lbs.|
|14 x 18||1389 lbs.|
|14 x 20||1515 lbs.|
|15 x 15||1268 lbs.|
|15 x 18||1470 lbs.|
|15 x 20||1605 lbs.|
|16 x 16||1407 lbs.|
|16 x 18||1551 lbs.|
|16 x 20||1695 lbs.|
|18 x 18||1713 lbs.|
|18 x 20||1875 lbs.|
|20 x 20||2055 lbs.|
For additional long-term structural strength, we add solid timber blocking in-between the dual support timbers as shown in the drawing below. With this blocking, the dual supports are in effect converted into one solid 5 3/4" x 61/2" or 7 1/4" x 6 1/2" timber as shown below:
Assembly Instructions for: Retractable Canopy Pergola
Assembly Instructions for: How to Anchor Your Pergola
All You Need is a Few Tools and a Friend.
Assembly is best done by two people over a half to full day depending on size. Pergolas require a ratchet, wrench, hammer and ladder. Some assemblies may require a drill to attach the posts into concrete. As with all of our products, we preassemble pergolas in our shop to ensure everything fits together. All hardware is included with clearly labeled parts. We also include detailed step-by-step instructions.
Take a look below at our assembly instructions for specific details. If you'd like a concrete pour to hold the posts, your project will require an additional half day prior to assembly. Please complete the concrete pour a few days prior to assembly to allow the concrete to cure.
Special skills are not required to re-assemble our pergolas. If you would like help, just let us know. We have our own team for installations in California, Nevada and Southern Arizona, and a network of local contractors we recommend for farther afield.
Care: Your Forever Redwood Furniture will last for decades in year-round weather without maintenance.
Depending on the wood grade you choose, you should expect your furniture to last 10-40 years without maintenance even in climates with harsh, year round conditions.
Being outside year-round is rough on all wood finishings. The surface absorbs UV rays and pollution, there is a constant variation in moisture and temperature, and oxidization occurs. Over the years, most woods degrade and decay, and the surface color will slowly fade towards a silver patina. This is not the case with Forever Redwood. The silver patina is surface deep (less than 1/64") and is not indicative of decay. Your set will last decades and will not compromised in any way by surface color changes. We keep our display items as is without refinishing as examples to show off the natural aging process (we like the patina!).
Although Forever Redwood is maintenance-free, we recommended that you take a few minutes as needed to clean by either hosing down and/or brushing/dusting away accumulated debris (no soap or chemicals needed). If you’d like to keep your set looking its best for decades, please go to: Care and Finish.