The Modern Fat Timber Pergola is a marriage of tradition and modernity. The lines are modern but the construction technique is old-fashioned quality thick timber handcrafting. We never use make believe wood, plastic, steel or aluminum. Just fat seasoned timbers that will last decades and fine finishing for simple natural beauty. Yes. Any size you want. Yes, customized per your input.
- Easy Sizing/Options: Begin in the Build it Your Way section next to the main photo and enter the size you think will work for the space. Then, check the wood grades and other options. Each Pergola is built your way. Our dedicated staff of designers and consultants stay with your ideas until we have something you are completely in love with. Every detail can be a standard option or customized as needed. If you want to add a detail or a size you do not see, just say the word.
- Built to Last: We are a forestry company. We hand select the best, fattest timbers from our forestlands for your project. Everything is ridiculously over built. All real wood and steel - no plastic/vinyl/ compressed glue/plywood or flimsy hardware and nails. Nothing lasts longer than California Redwood outdoors. We have over 20 years experience building, shipping and installing shade structures all over the country.
- Easy Design/Sizing Support: Your order's drawings are emailed within 5 days. The drawings are ideal so you don't have to figure it out beforehand. Usually just a couple of emails with our design team is all you need to have every detail the way you want.
- Details Matter: All joints are notched so your Modern Fat Timber Pergola will never sag, warp, twist, or shrink. Each timber is finely sanded for a silky smooth finish. We use the best sealants on the market. We really do make the best wood shade structures you can buy anywhere. Check our competition carefully. Does any other manufacturer offer up to 30 year decay warranties?
- You Install or We Install?: Once you sign off on your drawings, your Pergola is fully erected and finely finished in the shop for easy re-assembly. All the stainless steel hardware is included, simply bolt the timbers back together. Most kits go back up in 6 to 8 hours with one helper (see Assembly & Care tab above). If you don't want to do the work, we can send our install team anywhere in the Continental US.
- Turnaround Time & Financing: We can build in 2 to 3 weeks, but recommend ordering 2 to 3 months in advance to give you time to fine tune the details via our drawing process. You can also take advantage of our 1/3rd deposit option to minimize on your down payment with a few monthly payments.
Specifications have the following sections, any of which you may go to directly by clicking:
DIMENSIONS & DRAWINGS (PROVIDED PRIOR TO CONSTRUCTION)
When we receive any Pergola order, we will provide you with a detailed set of drawings based on the options and sizes chosen. The drawings will clearly show all the details and dimensions from 3 different angles. They are an excellent tool for you to double check everything to be sure it is exactly as you'd like before it is built. Drawings are emailed within 5 business days and we'll revise your drawings as needed to make sure all details and sizing issues are perfected prior to beginning construction.
Below are some examples of drawings sent to prior customers:
Corner posts are 5 1/2" by 5 1/2" (standard sized 6x6s) and are recessed 12" in from roof dimensions (This can be adjusted to meet your needs just let us know).
Roof support timbers (lintels) and rafters are 1 7/8" x 5 3/4". If you prefer a different sizing or style write what you would like in the comments section or contact us.
Posts normally ship 9' long. 9 posts make the top of the roof 9' also and give you an 8' 4" clearance ("ceiling height") under the rafters. About 90% of our pergola customers go with the default 9' post height. If you'd like your pergola taller or shorter, just select Other Height and write in what you would like in the comments section.
The maximum roof size is 20' in either direction with a 4 post structure. The maximum span (with the standard timber sizes mentioned above) is 18' 2 1/2" on center between posts. Structures over 20' in any direction are built with an additional post to support roofs between 20 and 40 feet. For example, a 30' x 20' free standing pergola has 6 posts.
Forever Redwood Pergola kits are completely assembled in the shop prior to shipping to be certain everything fits together perfectly. All timbers are notched into one another to increase structural strength and to lock all your pergolas timbers in place so they will never sag, twist or move. There are hundreds of notches in the larger pergolas. Full notching is rarely practiced because it is labor intensive, and it is one of the secrets to a long lasting beautiful pergola.
All assembly hardware is included and is stainless steel.
Assembly Instructions for: Modern Fat Timber Pergola
Assembly Instructions for: How to Anchor Your Pergola
All You Need is a Few Tools and a Friend.
Assembly is best done by two people and usually takes about half a day to a day, depending on size. Pergolas need a ratchet wrench, a hammer and a ladder to put them together. In some cases, you might need a drill to attach the posts into concrete. As with all our products, we preassemble pergolas in our shop to ensure everything fits together. All hardware is included and all parts are clearly labeled before it is shipped. We also include detailed step-by-step instructions.
Take a look at our assembly instructions below for specific details. If you plan to pour concrete to hold the posts, the project will require an additional half day prior to assembly. Please do the concrete pour a few days prior to assembly to allow the concrete to cure.
Special talent is not required to re-assemble our pergolas. But, if you would like help, just let us know. We have our own team for installations in California, Nevada and Southern Arizona and a network of local contractors we recommend for farther afield.
Care: Your Forever Redwood Furniture will last for decades in year-round weather without maintenance.
Depending on the wood grade you choose, even with harsh year-round outdoor conditions, you can expect your furniture to last from ten to forty years without maintenance of any kind.
Being outside year-round is rough on any woods finish. The surface absorbs UV rays, pollution, constant variations in moisture and temperature and it also oxidizes. This is why most wood just doesn’t hold up and the surface color slowly changes towards a silver patina over the years. But, with Forever Redwood, you don’t have to worry. The silver patina is surface deep only (less than 1/64") and is not indicative of decay. Your set will last decades and is not compromised in any way by the surface color change. For example, we keep our display items as is without refinishing to show off this natural aging (we like the patina!).
Although Forever Redwood is maintenance-free, we recommended you take a few minutes as needed to clean by either hosing down and/or brushing/dusting away accumulated debris (no soap or chemicals needed). If you’d like to keep your set looking its best for decades, please go to: Care and Finish.