Some years ago a customer wanted an arching pergola as a shade structure with massive timbers. The massively overbuilt Sebastopol Pergola was born from that want, and became such an original and beautiful design that we had to create a new product. She can be built up to 24’ wide and any length you like. No words are needed – just check out the photos and let us know what you have in mind.
- Easy Sizing and Options: You don't have to figure it all out beforehand. Just estimate the size you think will work. Then, check the wood grades and other options in the Build it Your Way section to the right of the large photo above. Your dedicated design engineer will send you detailed drawings so you can quickly see what needs fine tuning. We will stay with your ideas until every detail is as you want.
- Built to Last: We are a forest restoration company. We steward our lands and from the limited amount of lumber we harvest each year, we hand select the best, fattest timbers for your project. Everything is ridiculously over built. All real wood and steel - no plastic/vinyl/ compressed glue/plywood or flimsy hardware and nails. We have over 20 years experience building, shipping and installing shade structures all over the country..
- Details Matter: All joints are notched so your pergola will never sag, warp, twist, or shrink. Each timber is finely sanded for a silky smooth finish. We use the best sealants on the market. We make the best wood shade structures you can buy. Check our competition carefully. Does any other manufacturer offer up to 30 year decay warranties?
- You Install or We do?: Once you sign off on your drawings, your Sebastopol Pergola kit is fully erected and finely finished in the shop for easy re-assembly. All stainless steel hardware is included. Just bolt the timbers and panels back together. If you are going with a large structure, you will need plenty of muscle to assemble. If you would like, we can send our install team anywhere in the U.S.
- Turnaround Time: We can build in 2 weeks, but recommend that you order at least 6 weeks in advance to have time to fine tune the details via our drawing process.
- Questions? - Download the ebook "Everything you Wanted to Know about Pergolas" for answers to frequently asked questions or please contact our Pergola Advisor.
Specifications have the following sections, any of which you may go to directly by clicking:
DIMENSIONS & DRAWINGS
We customize our Pergolas to suit your needs. Just tell us what size and options you want. Prior to building, we provide our customers with a detailed set of drawings based on their initial choices and sizes. Our drawing process is the perfect tool to show you every detail and dimension from multiple angles. It gives you the freedom to visualize each detail, making sure that everything is exactly as you'd like before we get the go-ahead to begin building. Drawings are emailed within 5 business days, and we'll revise your drawings as much as needed to make sure all detail and sizing issues are perfected prior to beginning construction.
Corner posts are 7 1/4" by 7 1/4" (standard sized 6x6s) and are recessed 12" in from roof dimensions (This can be adjusted to meet your needs just let us know).
Roof support timbers (lintels) and rafters are 1 7/8" x 7 1/2". If you prefer a different sizing or style write what you would like in the comments section or contact us.
Posts normally ship 9' long. 9 posts make the top of the roof 9' also and give you an 8' 4" clearance ("ceiling height") under the rafters. About 90% of our pergola customers go with the default 9' post height. If you'd like your pergola taller or shorter, just select Other Height and write in what you would like in the comments section.
The maximum roof size is 20' in either direction with a 4 post structure. The maximum span (with the standard timber sizes mentioned above) is 18' 2 1/2" on center between posts. Structures over 20' in any direction are built with an additional post to support roofs between 20 and 40 feet. For example, a 30' x 20' free standing pergola has 6 posts.
Forever Redwood Pergola kits are completely assembled in the shop prior to shipping to be certain everything fits together perfectly. All timbers are notched into one another to increase structural strength and to lock all your pergolas timbers in place so they will never sag, twist or move. There are hundreds of notches in the larger pergolas. Full notching is rarely practiced because it is labor intensive, and it is one of the secrets to a long lasting beautiful pergola.
All assembly hardware is included and is stainless steel.
For additional long-term structural strength, we add solid timber blocking in-between the dual support timbers as shown in the drawing below. With this blocking, the dual supports are in effect converted into one solid 5 3/4 inch x 61/2 inch or 7 1/4 inch x 6 1/2 inch timber as shown below:
Assembly Instructions for: Sebastopol Pergolas
Assembly Instructions for: Ways To Attach Your Pergola Post to the Ground
All You Need is a Few Tools and a Friend.
Assembly is best done by two people and usually takes about half a day to a day, depending on size. Pergolas need a ratchet wrench, a hammer and a ladder to put them together. In some cases, you might need a drill to attach the posts into concrete. As with all our products, we preassemble pergolas in our shop to ensure everything fits together. All hardware is included and all parts are clearly labeled before it is shipped. We also include detailed step-by-step instructions.
Take a look at our assembly instructions below for specific details. If you plan to pour concrete to hold the posts, the project will require an additional half day prior to assembly. Please do the concrete pour a few days prior to assembly to allow the concrete to cure.
Special talent is not required to re-assemble our pergolas. But, if you would like help, just let us know. We have our own team for installations in California, Nevada and Southern Arizona and a network of local contractors we recommend for farther afield.
Care: Your Forever Redwood Furniture will last for decades in year-round weather without maintenance.
Depending on the wood grade you choose, even with harsh year-round outdoor conditions, you can expect your furniture to last from ten to forty years without maintenance of any kind.
Being outside year-round is rough on any woods finish. The surface absorbs UV rays, pollution, constant variations in moisture and temperature and it also oxidizes. This is why most wood just doesn’t hold up and the surface color slowly changes towards a silver patina over the years. But, with Forever Redwood, you don’t have to worry. The silver patina is surface deep only (less than 1/64") and is not indicative of decay. Your set will last decades and is not compromised in any way by the surface color change. For example, we keep our display items as is without refinishing to show off this natural aging (we like the patina!).
Although Forever Redwood is maintenance-free, we recommended you take a few minutes as needed to clean by either hosing down and/or brushing/dusting away accumulated debris (no soap or chemicals needed). If you’d like to keep your set looking its best for decades, please go to: Care and Finish.