The Palo Alto Cabin was born from a conversation with a gazebo customer. He loved his gazebo and wanted to add a real, fully insulated cabin with double paned windows and an operable skylight and a wraparound deck. The Palo Alto is a build-to-order beauty, tell us about your cabin day dreams and we'll come up with a plan. Yes, any size. Yes, any detail...
- The Palo Alto Cabin is available in standard sizes from 10’ x 10’ to 24’ x 20’. We can build larger than 24’ and custom sizing is also available.
- The Cabin is fully erected in the shop for easy re-assembly. No drilling, sanding or cutting needed. Ships in finished panels that bolt together.
- Detailed Drawings are emailed within 5 business days. You can change any detail or dimension to ensure your Cabin is built exactly the way you want.
- You can choose from our standard sizes and options, and if you don’t see a size or detail you’d like, let us know.
- You can add partitions for a bedroom/bathroom or a kitchenette. We encourage you to design all appliances and fixtures into your final drawings. This way, your cabin will be ready to add electrical and plumbing after installation is completed. Electrical and plumbing is best by local licensed plumbers and electricians.
- You can add as many double paned windows as you like to the design. As long as you stick to standard sized and standard construction windows, pricing for your cabin doesn't change regardless of the amount and size of windows you add.
- Our cabins are guaranteed to last 15 years but with minimal maintenance will last decades. Each Palo Alto uses only a Redwood exterior. Redwood outlasts teak and cedar. We use oversized timbers, Stainless Steel hardware and the best weather resistant sealant.
Specifications have the following sections, any of which you may go to directly by clicking on it:
The Palo Alto Backyard Cabin is available from 10' to 24' Length and Width. The Length and Width are the overall wall measurements. The standard roof overhang beyond the walls is 12".
The standard insulation we ship with the Palo Alto Cabins is R-19 and the standard vapor barrier is 5 mm thick. We can upgrade the insulation during the design phase of your order to R-30 or whatever your local climate needs. You will only have to pay the difference in materials cost.
Each cabin is custom in some way and we encourage you to make it your own. The standard walls are built with 5 1/2" thick studs so you can add thicker insulation as needed. We can go thicker also if you wish. It is just one more variable you can adjust during design.
DIMENSIONS & DRAWINGS
|Length||Post Height (Front)||Tallest Post Height (Back)|
|14 ft||9 ft||11 ft|
|16 ft||9 ft||11.5 ft|
|18 ft||9 ft||12 ft|
|20 ft||9 ft||12.5 ft|
Assembly Instructions for: The Palo Alto Backyard Cabin
All You Need is a Few Tools and a Friend.
Assembly is best done by two people and usually takes about half a day to a day, depending on size. Pergolas need a ratchet wrench, a hammer and a ladder to put them together. In some cases, you might need a drill to attach the posts into concrete. As with all our products, we preassemble pergolas in our shop to ensure everything fits together. All hardware is included and all parts are clearly labeled before it is shipped. We also include detailed step-by-step instructions.
Take a look at our assembly instructions below for specific details. If you plan to pour concrete to hold the posts, the project will require an additional half day prior to assembly. Please do the concrete pour a few days prior to assembly to allow the concrete to cure.
Special talent is not required to re-assemble our pergolas. But, if you would like help, just let us know. We have our own team for installations in California, Nevada and Southern Arizona and a network of local contractors we recommend for farther afield.
Care: Your Forever Redwood Furniture will last for decades in year-round weather without maintenance.
Depending on the wood grade you choose, even with harsh year-round outdoor conditions, you can expect your furniture to last from ten to forty years without maintenance of any kind.
Being outside year-round is rough on any woods finish. The surface absorbs UV rays, pollution, constant variations in moisture and temperature and it also oxidizes. This is why most wood just doesn’t hold up and the surface color slowly changes towards a silver patina over the years. But, with Forever Redwood, you don’t have to worry. The silver patina is surface deep only (less than 1/64") and is not indicative of decay. Your set will last decades and is not compromised in any way by the surface color change. For example, we keep our display items as is without refinishing to show off this natural aging (we like the patina!).
Although Forever Redwood is maintenance-free, we recommended you take a few minutes as needed to clean by either hosing down and/or brushing/dusting away accumulated debris (no soap or chemicals needed). If you’d like to keep your set looking its best for decades, please go to: Care and Finish.