- Background: The Louvered Pergola is a variation on our traditional garden pergola design. Pergolas were traditionally built using the best quality wood available and then left to age, looking as if they had been there "forever." You have the flexibility to leave the louvers open in the winter when sunlight is at a premium, and close them on hot days when you want to cool the area. We also offer a fixed louvered option to save on costs while providing you maximum amounts of shade with a decent visibility.
- Begin in the Build it Your Way section next to the main photo by entering the size you think will work for the space. Then, check the wood grades and other options. Each Pergola is built your way. Our dedicated team of Design Engineers stay with your ideas until you fall completely in love with the design. Your Modern Louvered Garden Pergola can be freestanding or it can be attached to your home or building. Each detail can remain a standard option, or be customized as needed. If you want to add a detail or a size you do not see, just say the word.
- Waterproof Pergolas: Traditionally, Pavilions have closed roofs and are 100% waterproof while Pergolas are open to the sky. If you would like to have all of the options from full sun to completely dry shade, our Modern Louvered Pergola is the design for you. For a fully waterproof Pergola, we will seal the top with rain guards. Let us know your preferences by typing "add rainguard" in the comment section as you checkout, or simply let your Design Engineer know as you review every last detail of your Pergola together.
- Easy Design/Sizing Support: Our team of In-house Engineers will mock up a set of drawings unique to your order's specifications, and email them to you within 5 business days. With 20+ years of experience, we've honed our Design-to-Done process so that you can get your order started without having all the details figured out. Let us bring our expertise to the table-- together we can hone the details to give you the best of structure and style. Generally, just a few emails with your Design Engineer is all you will need to get every detail just the way you want. Start by choosing your favorite style and entering in the dimensions you think will work. Choose each of your options to the best of your knowledge and either request a quote or send in a 1/3 deposit to get the Design process started.
- Details Matter: All joints are notched so that your Pergola will never sag, warp, twist, or shrink. Each timber is finely sanded for a silky smooth finish. We use the best sealants on the market. We make the best wood shade structures you can buy. Yes, your Pergola is sturdy enough to hold Solar Panels if you wish. Check out our competition carefully. Does any other manufacturer offer up to 30 year decay warranties?
- Built to Last: We are a restorative forestry company. We hand select the best, fattest timbers from our forestlands for your project. Everything is over built with real wood and steel-- we never use plastic/vinyl/ compressed glue/plywood, flimsy hardware or nails. Nothing lasts longer outdoors than California Redwood. We have over 25 years experience building, shipping and installing shade structures all over the country.
- You Install or We Install?: Once you sign off on your drawings, your Pergola is fully erected and finely finished in the shop. All the stainless steel hardware is included. Just bolt the timbers back together. See the Assembly & Care tab above for more information.
- Our White Glove Assembly is available in all 50 states. If you'd like us to do the assembly for you, we can send our installation team anywhere in the US. Just choose the White Glove Assembly option as you check out. This service includes assembly, anchoring, and details like adding flashing, curtain rods and roofing. White Glove Assembly costs anywhere between 25-45% of the cost of your structure. We are happy to provide a specific quote for you during the Design process as we finalize the details together. If you have an old structure that needs to be taken down and disposed of, let us know. We can generally add this to the scope of work.
- Turnaround Time & Financing: We can build in 2-3 weeks, but we recommend ordering 2-3 months in advance to give you time to fine tune each detail via our design and drawing process. You can take advantage of our 1/3rd deposit option to spread the cost over several monthly payments.
Specifications has the following sections, any of which you may go to directly by clicking on it:
DIMENSIONS & DRAWINGS (PROVIDED PRIOR TO CONSTRUCTION)
When we receive any Pergola order, we will provide you with a detailed set of drawings based on the options and sizes chosen. The drawings will clearly show all the details and dimensions from 3 different angles. They are an excellent tool for you to double check everything to be sure it is exactly as you'd like before it is built. Drawings are emailed within 5 business days, and we'll revise your drawings as needed to make sure all details and sizing issues are perfected prior to beginning construction.
Below are some examples of drawings sent to prior customers:
|Pergola (Roof) Size (ft)||Approx. weight|
|10 x 10||705 lbs.|
|10 x 12||795 lbs.|
|10 x 14||885 lbs.|
|10 x 15||930 lbs.|
|10 x 16||975 lbs.|
|10 x 18||1065 lbs.|
|10 x 20||1155 lbs.|
|12 x 12||903 lbs.|
|12 x 14||1011 lbs.|
|12 x 15||1065 lbs.|
|12 x 16||1119 lbs.|
|12 x 18||1227 lbs.|
|12 x 20||1335 lbs.|
|Pergola (Roof) Size (ft)||Approx. weight|
|14 x 14||1137 lbs.|
|14 x 16||1263 lbs.|
|14 x 18||1389 lbs.|
|14 x 20||1515 lbs.|
|15 x 15||1268 lbs.|
|15 x 18||1470 lbs.|
|15 x 20||1605 lbs.|
|16 x 16||1407 lbs.|
|16 x 18||1551 lbs.|
|16 x 20||1695 lbs.|
|18 x 18||1713 lbs.|
|18 x 20||1875 lbs.|
|20 x 20||2055 lbs.|
Corner posts are 5 1/2" by 5 1/2" (standard sized 6x6s) and are recessed 12" in from roof dimensions (This can be adjusted to meet your needs: just let us know).
Roof support timbers (lintels) and rafters are 1 7/8" x 5 3/4". If you prefer a different sizing or style, write what you would like in the comments section or contact us.
Posts normally ship 9' long. 9' posts make the top of the roof 9' as well, giving you an 8' 4" clearance ("ceiling height") under the rafters. About 90% of our pergola customers go with the default 9' post height. If you'd like your pergola taller or shorter, just select Other Height and write in what you would like in the comments section.
The maximum roof size is 20' in either direction with a 4 post structure. The maximum span (with the standard timber sizes mentioned above) is 18' 2 1/2" on center between posts. Structures over 20' in any direction are built with an additional post to support roofs between 20 and 40 feet. For example, a 30' x 20' free standing pergola has 6 posts.
Forever Redwood Pergola kits are completely assembled in the shop prior to shipping to be certain everything fits together perfectly. All timbers are notched into one another both to increase structural strength and to lock all your pergolas timbers in place so they will never sag, twist, or move. There are hundreds of notches in the larger pergolas. Full notching is rarely practiced because it is labor intensive, but it is one of the secrets to a long lasting and beautiful pergola.
All assembly hardware is stainless steel and included.
Assembly Instructions for: Modern Louvered Garden Pergola
Assembly Instructions for: How to Anchor Your Pergola
Our White Glove Assembly is a complete onsite assembly and anchoring service. The cost varies between 25 - 35% of your structure's overall cost and includes all materials: footings work, concrete, equipment rental if needed, and standard roofing materials if needed. Our installation teams are now available in all 50 states!
DIY: For moderately-sized structures (up to 400 sqft.), some of our customers choose to save money by doing the assembly themselves. In general, the larger the structure, the more people and time you will need: we recommend a minimum of 3 people. If you have assembly questions, just give us a call!
Care: You should expect your furniture to last outside for a minimum of 10-40 years without maintenance, even in climates with harsh year-round conditions. Because of our high quality wood, the silver patina that will naturally occur is surface deep (less than 1/64") and is not indicative of decay. We keep our display items without refinishing as examples show off their natural aging. We like the patina! If you’d like to keep your set looking its best for decades please visit: Care and Finish.